Welcome to the web archive of the SA Historical & Philatelic Association.
We hope you will enjoy reading the articles and information on Salvation Army history and
heritage that will be published here over the coming months.

Saturday, 10 November 2012

Arthur Gullidge and the Band of the 2/22 Battalion

Arthur Gullidge was born on 9th April 1909 in Broken  Hill, New South Wales.  He had his first work published at the age of 17 and went on to win several national and international prizes for band composition. He was Deputy Bandmaster of Melbourne City Temple Corps and later, Bandmaster of Collingwood Corps. Amongst his most well known compositions are ‘Jubilate’ and ‘Emblem of the Army’.
Arthur Gullidge
In 1939 Arthur, after struggling with his Christian ethics, enlisted in the Australian Infantry Force. Other Salvationists joined with him and together, they made up the 25 strong band of the 2/22 Battalion. Their role was music making and first aid/stretcher bearers. They were a popular band, especially as Arthur had the knack of turning popular music into band marches.

In 1941 the Band went with the rest of the Battalion to the remote Pacific outpost of Rabaul. Hoowever, after Pearl Harbour, the island could not resist the Japanese and those who survived (including most of the Band) were put on the prisoner of war ship, the Montevideo Maru.  On 1st July this Japanese auxiliary ship was torpedoed and sunk by the submarine USS Sturgeon, bringing about the greatest loss of life in a single instance in Australia’s wartime history. All 1,053 allied prisoners and the majority of crew perished

The Quotations of William Booth

Amongst the many sayings of William Booth, here are a few favourites for members to ponder over:

“The most serious lack in the religious training of children – and that which is the cause of frequent failure – is the reliance on teaching only. Multitudes of children are instructed in religious notions and their memories crammed with the facts… whilst their hearts are left unchanged, uncultivated, and uninspired by the Holy Spirit.”

"Nothing demoralizes Salvation Soldiers more than inactivity. Idleness is stark ruin, and the devil's own opportunity..."
General William Booth
 "We believe in salvation HERE and NOW; we believe in feeling, knowing, and partaking here on earth of the leaves of the tree of life, which are for the healing of the nations... WE WANT IT NOW! Drinking of the river of the water of life which flows from the throne of God, and being healed, and changed, and blessed, and filled with the glory of God, and the peace and purity and power of salvation. WE WANT IT NOW!

"Can we go too fast, my comrades, in SAVING SOULS? I will not attempt to answer that question. No soldier in The Salvation Army would put it. It is an insult to the Bible - to the teachers of Christianity."

"Let us remember Him who died for us continually. Let us remember His love every hour of our lives, and continually feed on Him - not on Sundays only, and then forget him all the week, but let us in faith eat his flesh and drink his blood continually... all to the Glory of God." - 1883

"Beliefs, opinions and feelings will not produce a character strong enough to stand the strain and to be successful in the regeneration of the world; supernatural men and women are wanted for such work."

"If you want a solid, sensible, holy, devoted partner, then the possession and manifestation of the qualities you seek in another will be most likely to secure the gratification of your desire. The Bible speaks of 'the beauty of holiness'; and there is nothing so attractive to a good Salvationist as the truthfulness, meekness, kindness, and devotion which that term describes. Exhibit them."

A Famous Birmingham Salvationist by Fred Crowhurst

James Lansdowne Norton, founder of Norton Manufacturing Company, was born in Birmingham in 1869 at the height of Queen Victoria’s reign.  As a boy he became interested in all things mechanical and built a working scale model steam engine that was the wonder of the neighbourhood.

He produced his first motorcycle, the Energette in 1902 and took part in various competitive events to prove its worth. All the early machines had very primitive braking systems, but in any case they were of little use.  The roads to quote one observer were “smeared with a terrible green paste of pulverised horse dung, rainwater and the assorted filth of an imperfectly scavenged city.” No wonder the locals called it “the ‘oss road.” (oss meaning horse!)  Despite suffering a recurring heart problem, which prematurely aged him, he competed in 3 TT races in the Isle of Man.  At the 1911 TT race, one commentator noted- “Norton is a tough old sport and has the old age pension!”  He was actually 43.  His white beard combined with his fatherly nature earned him the title ‘Pa’ Norton.

James Lansdowne Norton
 He was a soldier at Sparkbrook Corps where he was the corps treasurer and highly respected for his deep Christian faith.  Some of the other men of the corps worked at his premises in Floodgate Street. Mention should be made of the first TT race which was run over 16 miles of various road surfaces.  Each rider had to do ten laps with a ten minute rest after the first five. Norton’s rider was Rem Fowler He had to stop on a dozen occasions to make roadside adjustments or change the spark plugs.  At one stage he had to ride through a wall of flame caused by competitors’ fallen machinery. To add to the enjoyment there was no suspension. In 1908 James Norton’s personal motor cycling experience combined with his integrity and engineering skills enabled him to produce a much more reliable and solid machine known as “The Big Four’ capable of a speed of 60 mph. Its ‘de luxe’ features were retained throughout the 46 years of production when it achieved much greater speeds.

‘Pa’ Norton was promoted to Glory in April 1925 at the age of 56. All the DHQ staff at the time were present at his funeral.  He left a wife and five children.  As a mark of respect in which he was held ‘The Motor Cycle’ magazine promoted a shilling subscription fund which raised £1203.00 for a memorial scholarship in motor cycle engineering at Birmingham University.

Salvation Army Medals

There is an increasing interest in medals awarded by the Salvation Army and a new one came to light recently. Dr Glenn Horridge, widely regarded as the expert on this topic, was asked to comment on the authenticity of what had been described as a Salvation Army medal. Sceptical at first, Glenn was able to advise the international medal house selling the item that indeed, it was a rare Salvation Army medal.

Research shows that the Life Savings Guides and Scouts had a bravery award in the second and third decade of the twentieth century.  There were three levels of this award: a silver medal and certificate, bronze medal and certificate, and a certificate. Lindsay Cox, Australia Southern Territory’s archivist tell us that he has two of the certificates and one silver and one bronze medal in their Collection. Some Year Books carry short sections on who was awarded each medal and by analysing these, it appears that no more than 30 of each medal were awarded and this makes it a rare item. SAHPA would like to hear if anyone has an example of the medal or certificate.
Another rare medal for sale was General Carpenter’s 50 years of service medal. General Carpenter was the first Australian Salvationists to be elected General. The award is especially rare as it was only awarded between 1931 and the early 1950s. Australia Southern Territory purchased it on ebay for around $1,300 Australian dollars.

Also seen recently was Mrs General Carpenter’s Twenty-Five year Long Service Medal along with her three ‘mother’s stars’.

SAHPA is often asked to advise on prices and with the Long-Service Awards, it does depend on rank and whether any form of service record can be found. Some dealers ask ‘silly money’ as in the recent case of an Adjutant’s medal, purchased on eBay by a dealer for a little over £70 mark, and now on sale for £230! Do feel free to ask for value first, before buying or bidding.

Blaydon Corps

Blaydon opened on 19th May 1878 as a Christian Mission Station, only a few months before William Booth renamed the Christian Mission as the Salvation Army.  Thus it was one of the earliest Corps of the Salvation Army with the number 43. T. Borrill with fellow Christian Missioners from Felling and Shields led the initial meetings, saving some of Blaydon’s worst characters. The town was regarded as being very poor with “many out of work and others working half-time”. Six months later T. Borrill was sent to Bedlington and a “Hallelujah Lass” named Sarah Broadbent took command. Converts continued to be made.

Blaydon Corps Hall
 In November 1879 Emmanuel Rolfe was sent to open the work in Winlaton. He was met at Blaydon Railway Station by the Blaydon officer and a Salvation Army soldier. Together they trudged up the hill in the snow to have a quick cup of tea before marching out with another comrade to commence an open-air in the freezing cold. Almost immediately Captain Rolfe took command of both Blaydon and Winlaton although in the rapidly growing Army where on average three new Corps per week were being established, Blaydon enjoyed being known as one of the earliest.

However, some Corps did close in the early 1880s and Blaydon appears to have been one of them. In 1893 though, Blaydon reopened although now as Corps 1435. It was soon making an impression on the Army world. In the “Provincial Race” of War Cry selling in the United Kingdom, it was the top Corps in May 1893 (having reopened three months earlier under Captain Blake and Lieutenant Carter). The following month Major Hodder, the officer commanding the Newcastle Division, visited Blaydon and the Wesleyan Chapel was virtually filled for a “glorious meeting”. (One noteworthy point is that William Booth’s name was still on the local Wesleyan preachers plan). 

In July 1893 War Cry sales were still high and a large number of recruits were sworn in during one week’s campaign. The campaign ended with three days of Salvation activities including a Saturday tea for over 200 and a march headed by Newcastle V band.  The Sunday morning meeting commenced with an open-air and knee-drill on Summerhouse Hill with over seventy people. More open-airs and testimonies from recruits were followed by afternoon and evening meetings at the Mechanics Institute.  In conclusion on Monday afternoon there was a Holiness meeting and in the evening, with Hexham band on the march and in the Chapel, forty soldiers were sworn in. The income was £14. “After expenses are paid, the balance will go towards furnishing the officers’ quarters. God Bless the Blaydon Bricks”.

The interior of the hall
 In February 1894, at the first Corps anniversary, Blaydon C.O.s (Captain Marshall and Lieutenant Digance) celebrated with the help of Bentinck (Newcastle V) Band. References were made to the commissioning of a drum-and-fife Band at Blaydon. Three years later a local man, Henry Rawson, left Blaydon for the Training Garrison and went on to serve the Army well in a variety of appointment. By November 1905, Blaydon had well in excess of 130 soldiers, 28 recruits and a Band of twenty-five, frequently seen resplendent in their ‘lion-tamers’ tunics. Even the three Junior bandsmen wore such tunics specially made for them. In July 1906 General Booth himself visited to give a Monday address at the Co-operative Hall. 800 people heard the General give a stirring address on the need for, and success of, the Salvation Army.

Blaydon Salvation Army Corps continued it service until September 2012 when despite the best efforts of the few remaining soldiers, the Corps was closed. Winlaton had closed some years earlier. Blaydon Corps has been run for well over twenty years by Envoy June Tones.

The Blaydon Corps building today was originally built in 1850 as Winlaton Primitive Methodist Chapel. It was built on the ash-pits of the blacksmith shops and furnaces which, along with houses and cottages, were packed into the area. The Chapel was extended in 1895 and known as Winlaton Front Street Primitive Methodist Chapel (later Chapel was exchanged for Church).